Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cinquegrano Released, Career Possibly Over

QUINCY CENTER PLAZA, MA. (AP) — Fans were reacting with concern and dismay Friday to the news that the Hammers released shortstop Rob Cinquegrano after he was schedued to undergoing shoulder surgery next week that will end his season and possibly his career forever.

On WEEI radio's "Dennis & Callahan Show," Cinquegrano said, "We're still nailing down exactly what kind of surgery it's going to be. When asked if he thought it would end his season, Cinquegrano said yes. "My season is over, and there is a pretty decent chance I have played my last game in the Neck forever."

The former Carpentry star shortstop was re-signed in May despite reports of shoulder problems. He has yet set foot on the field this season.

"It got to a point where we had to make some decisions, and I'm going to have shoulder surgery on Monday of next week and then we're going to just kinda go from there," Cinquegrano said on the air. "If you use a scale of 1-10 and 10 is playing effecively in this league, I'm at about 3 right now."

Hammers manager Tom Fratolillo said the team hoped for the best for the ailing All Star.
"I think we always knew that this was a possibility. Something was wrong with his shoulder. We don't know how it happened. The most appropriate treatment was what our doctors recommended, you know ... the conservative route, strengthen it, see if he can get back and play effectively. I wish him the best and that he comes back and catches on with another team"

Fans at LaBreque Park were upset.

"That's too bad. That's too bad. I really like Cinka, and I was hoping he could come back by July and really help us. He's a great guy. I hope it isn't the end of his career," one fan said.

No comments: